Whether you are starting out on Twitter or been active for awhile keeping up with Twitter’s high volume of tweets can become overwhelming. Twitter moves at a fast pace and you can soon lose track of the people that are important to you that you want to prioritise your engagement with.
A Twitter list is a curated group of Twitter users. Creating your own Twitter List(s) is useful because it allows you to browse tweets from a select group of users in a unique stream, separate from your primary Twitter feed.
That way, you can organize the content you’re most interested in viewing and engaging with on Twitter.
Public or private
Public lists can be seen by anyone using Twitter and allow other users to subscribe to your list. Private lists cannot be seen by anyone other than you.
The great thing about private Twitter Lists is that you don’t have to be following a user in order to add them to a list. Nor will that user be alerted they have been added to your list.
This creates an opportunity to make lists on Twitter that serve a variety of purposes.
You can create lists of users that share content related to your industry, or a list of your customers to gain a better understanding of their interests. Additionally, you could create a private list of your competitors or individuals you consider ‘leads.’
How to Create a Twitter List
Step 1: Make sure you’re logged into your Twitter account. Once you’re logged-in, click on your username above “View my profile page” in the top right corner.
Step 2: Click on “Lists” in the right-hand column below your profile information.
Step 3: Click the “Create list” button at the top of the right-hand column:
Step 4: In the “Create a new list” window, enter the name of your list, a description if you want, set the list to private (this way only you see the list and others won’t be able to subscribe to it), and then click the “Save list” button.
Step 5: Add Twitter people to your list. You’ll be brought to the page for your new list. In the right-hand column you can search for users you’d like to add. Enter the person’s name or Twitter username if you know it, then click “Search.”:
What about when you find new people to add to the list?
1. Just click on their names to bring up a pop-up window with their information. Click the silhouette and then “Add or remove from lists” to add them as you did in Step 5.
2. Locate the correct account from the search results, then click on the little person silhouette to bring up a menu of options. Click “Add or remove from lists.”
3. In the “Your Lists” window, check the lists you’d like to add the person to:
4. Once the list is checked that person is added and you can click anywhere off the pop-up window to close it.
5. Repeat these steps to create new Lists.
6. To view your list, follow steps 1 and 2. You’ll then see only the tweets from those people you’ve put on the list.
So don’t wait – Take the time to set up a few initial Twitter lists now! If you’d like more help with twitter contact us today.